Trial and error by learning from videos on the internet has led me to FINISHING casting my first Mini Muertita, I also call Muertitita. I present photos, failures, and some process, all while in the background life said “Oh, hey, let’s make you stronger by throwing some ill-health, bad-timing, living-situation-changes, car-troubles, financial juggling, and your own-damn-personality drama at you – ALL AT ONCE” for a few months. Don’t worry, everything is finally smoothing out . I DO feel stronger for it . . . now.
GOAL: to create well made, solid resin casts of a smaller Muertita, Muertitita, that can ship easier for out of state shows.
Creating the original from SuperSculpy in a process I learned from the esteemed and amazing Matthew Levin.
1st attempt at casting antlers
Nope. Just nope. Badly built seams led to leaks everywhere. They were just so tiny and detailed!! I am finding new and more material-expensive processes for the antler casting right now. Until then, each will still be custom for the Muertititas.
2nd attempt at applying SmoothOn Rebound brushable mold
1st attempt was a major bust (Baa Haaa, see what I did there? Sorry. Anyway.) The 1st attempt I didn’t measure, mix, or apply quite right – but I didn’t know that at the time – so it was mostly goo that never dried and I spent 3 weekends scraping, wiping, and cleaning it off my sculpture. There might have been some tears. But this second one came out great, with about 4-5 layers on it.
The Support Mold
This was by far the easiest, both times.
Wow was I ever lucky! It came out beautifully! This moment was amazing. I was sweating from my excitement. The only thing I can compare it to is the very first time I unwrapped a present as a child. The mystery, then the reward of the surprise hidden inside was pure elation!
Almost a total fail. My studio was in-flux so I poured my cast outside which made for some funky airbubbles. As it cured, tied onto wood atop some moving boxes, I left the room. Mew, one of our cats, didn’t approve and knocked it down. The resin leaked and solidified. I had to hammer the mold apart to release my Muertitita which was riddled with air-bubbles. Luckily it was salvageable. Then I made another brush-on-mold and support cast all over again so I could make more of those pretty little faces to paint. I’ll post a photo once I get my little army going.
Paint and flowers
At this point it was about acrylic paint, flowers, and paint sealant. It was actually more therapeutic working small than I expected. Well, what I expected was shaking hands and difficult-to-make details. Instead, it was satisfying to mull over the tiniest little line and curve.
Yep. There is is. All done. Prepare for the army!!